Sunday, April 24, 2011

Strawberry Layer Cake with Balsamic-Macerated Strawberries


I was going to make Carrot Cake for the good 'ol Easter Bunny & the family until my friend Amy posted this Strawberry cake recipe. I had a huge carton of fresh, beautiful strawberries on hand & this just seemed, perfect. I went with Amy's recommendation to cut the sugar... I only used 1 cup. And I completely omitted the red food coloring. When strawberries are this gorgeous, in season, why ruin their natural pinkish beauty in the batter? And to that effect, I also skipped Preparation #2's Food Processor suggestion. Instead, I mashed the thinly sliced strawberry slices with a pastry blender, then added them to the batter. I ended up with nice pieces of the fruit within the cake.  I used the frosting recipe, substituting orange juice as suggested, but instead of just strawberry slices, I made macerated strawberries to adorn the cake & to slather on the center before icing it. It was delish!
Happy Easter everyone!!!!
Lishie's Macerated Strawberries

  • 2 Cups Strawberries, cut in fours
  • 1/4 Cup Balsamic Vinegar
  • 1/4 Cup Sugar
  • 2 TBSp Orange Juice

Combine all of the ingredients together & refrigerate for at least 2 hours. 


*Lishie Tip- Add chopped basil to the macerated berries for some extra delish flavor! These strawberries were also yummy on the chocolate cake that was served & are delicious on ice cream!

1 comment:

  1. Too hard to read. Use a different font.

    ReplyDelete