Tuesday, April 5, 2011

A lighter Fettucine Alfredo

Cheesy goodness!
This is a super yummy recipe that comes together pretty fast on a week night. I compare the prep work & cook time to a stir fry- get everything ready... set... go... cook! And it's done in minutes. I love alfredo but I am not really suppose to eat heavy, creamy sauces, nor is my hubby. When I saw this recipe in Cooking Light Magazine, I had to try it. It is delicious.

I use the same ingredients but this is what I do:

Fettucine Alfredo Adapted from Cooking Light Magazine

  • 1 TBSp Butter
  • 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
  • 1 TBSp AP Flour
  • 1 & 1/3 cups Skim Milk
  • 5 oz. of Shredded Parmesan Cheese- *I buy the the 5 oz. tub of freshly shredded parmesan.
  • 2 TBSp Cream Cheese (I use regular)
  • *I OMIT the salt! The parm is salty enough for our taste, why add more?
  • 8 oz. FRESH packet of Fettucine

*I get the Buitoni- It tastes so much better than dry pasta & it's quicker to cook.

  • Fresh Parsley, chopped
  • Basil (sometimes I will add a chiffonade of basil)

*Lishie tip- Like I said, for weeknight cooking, it's all in the prep!


I get the water started for fettucine.  I get out the pan, & pat the butter into it but I do not turn the heat on... Instead, I line up everything else first. On a cutting board, I chop the parsley on one side. On the other side I ready (unskin) the garlic & place the microplane next to it. Grab my TBSp measure & scoop the flour, place the TBSp itself, with the flour in it on the cutting board as well. Grab my liquid measuring cup & pour the milk for the ready. Open the parmesan container... measure & slice the cream cheese... Open the pasta package... Ready, set... Turn on the stove flame & get ready to WHISK, WHISK, WHISK for 10 minutes... & have dinner in 15! The key is in the continuous whisking!

Oh & when the pasta's done cooking, do not use a colander! I transfer it directly from the water pot to the alfredo saucy pan with a pasta spoon & in this exchange, also bringing a teensy bit of the starchy water with it to the sauce.

This is really versatile too- it can be the main dish or a side... You can add a protein. I love to add grilled chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment