Monday, April 25, 2011

Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes

Fluffy goodness!
So my hubby has to really work on lowering his cholesterol & triglycerides. They are scary high & it's convinced him to start trying the food I make for Gabriel & me. But as I know best of all people, with my crohns disease, you cannot restrict 100%- you must have taste & some comfort. A great way of doing this is figuring out a way to cut the fat & salt in recipes by substituting other, healthier components. One great substitute is buttermilk.

Buttermilk is what's left in cow's milk after butter is made; The fat has been removed to make the butter, hence the name. And it is healthier than milk. It also has more lactic acid than regular milk so it's easier to digest. (This fact has been attributed to it's long shelf-life.) So if buttermilk can be subbed in a creamy meal- do it!

Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes

  • 6 large Potatoes, skinned (I used Golden)
  • 1/2 Cup Milk (I use Skim)
  • 1/4 Cup unsalted Butter
  • 1/2 Cup Buttermilk
  • S & P, to taste

Cut the potatoes into even pieces. Boil a 4 Quart sauce pan of water. Add the potatoes carefully & allow the water to be brought to a boil again. Lower the heat to a simmer & cook the potatoes 10-15 minutes more, until a piece falls off of a fork. 


While the potatoes are cooking, warm the (regular) milk & butter in a small sauce pan, allowing the butter to fully melt (but do NOT boil or simmer!)


Drain the potatoes in a colander then return the cooked potatoes to the sauce pan. Mash to your desired consistency. Add the warmed milk/butter mixter. Add the buttermilk & S & P, to taste.


To accompany the buttermilk mashed potatoes, I was able to get my hubby to try my Turkey Meatloaf... & it was a hit! He liked it; Mikey liked it! (Note- I never call Michael, Mikey ;) )  Look at all of the delicious, fresh goodness in that picture to the left... I mean, FRESH spinach, how can one go wrong?! And another side for this Monday night was asparagus. Tonight, to make it simple for Michael, so he can actually taste the veg, I tossed the fresh asparagus in extra virgin olive oil, lemon zest & juice & grated a tiny bit of parmesan cheese on top. I roasted it in the oven on 375 degrees for 15 minutes.  

My toddler, Gabriel & I have have eaten asparagus tons of times, no big deal... but Michael didn't.ever.want.to.touch.it. He ate his serving tonight though. Baby steps... for my hubby...it's all that I or the nutritionist can ask!

Michael seemed content & full at the end of the meal. And guess what? I'm content that he was content... & that he was attempting to be healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment