Monday, April 18, 2011

"Early Bird Gets the Worm" Cupcakes

Squirmy goodness!
For my little one's two year old birthday, I had a blue bird theme so I made "Early Bird Gets the Worm" Cupcakes... I wanted them to taste great & look good so I used my "go to" chocolate cake recipe- Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Cake & Frosting. The problem was, I didn't know the baking time nor how many cupcakes a batch of batter would yield. Well after experimenting, now I do, & now you will too!

"Early Bird Gets the Worm" Cupcakes
Yields 36 Cupcakes
  • One batch of Both: Batter & Frosting (Hershey Cocoa)
  • 1 Bar of Semi-Sweet Chocolate (I used Ghiradelli), shredded/grated
  • 1 large package of Gummy Worms
  • Cupcake Liners
Heat oven to 350 degrees. 


Line two, 6-cupcake tins. Fill the liners half way. In three batches, bake 12 cupcakes at a time, for 17 minutes. Allow to cool entirely.


After the cupcakes are cooled, take a large-holed straw (like a fast food restaurant's) & insert into the middle of each cupcake. Twist out a "hole" Place the tail end of 1 gummy worm in the hole. Holding the gummy worm's head, frost around the worm on the cupcake. Still holding the gummy worm's head, sprinkle shredded chocolate "dirt" onto the frosting. Finally, place the gummy worm head into the frosting so the candy bug stays in place!




*Lishie tip- Use a veggie grater for the chocolate topping- it's best, I find. Also, refrigerate the chocolate bar a little before-hand to make it easier to work with.

No comments:

Post a Comment