Saturday, May 14, 2011

Stuffed Belgian Endive + Mac & Cheese & Broccoli

~ Blogger lost 2 posts- I combined them & am posting again. Apologies ~


I love Endive & I love Food Network's Melissa d'Arabian. Part of it is because I make a lot of similar dishes. The other part is she's very lovable. She's passionate about her children & what they eat. When I saw this recipe on her show I was so excited because I absolutely love endive. It's so healthy too- rich in folate, vitamins A & K & it's rich in fiber. The thing is, I think my preference for it is in it's raw, crispy & cold form, in a salad or as an appetizer. Don't get me wrong though, this was delicious & it did make me happy. Oh & it gave me an idea for a great appetizer (soon to be blogged!)



Adapted from:  Stuffed Belgian Endive Melissa d'Arabian 
  • 1 TBSp butter
  • 1 TBSp flour
  • 3/4 cup milk, heated
  • 1 tsp Dijon mustard
  • 1 tsp granulated garlic
  • 1/4 cup shredded Gruyere, divided
  • 2  medium Belgian endives
  • 4 small slices Gruyere
  • S & P
  • Cooked turkey burger
  • cooking spray
I made are the substitutions I did because: 1) I like Gruyere & dislike Swiss cheese & 2) I had leftover, cooked turkey burger which is better for me than deli meat. You could also switch out the ham for deli turkey or make this veggie without meat. And I halved the recipe since only I would be eating it- hubby does not like endive. He has his Buffalo wingettes.

I noticed when I was serving myself that I had a lot of extra sauce. So I threw some water on to boil to make noodles. I figured the delicious cheese sauce would make a great mac & cheese for lunch & I added the leftover broccoli on hand. 

*Lishie tip- if you have anything delicious leftover, utilize for a small lunch! Be creative- then it won't seem like you are eating the same thing or a "leftover". No ho hum- just nom nom! :) 

Mac & Cheese & Broccoli
    Mac & Cheese & Broccoli


  • 1 cup cooked Noodles (or any small pasta), cooked to package directions.
  • Leftover Sauce from above OR below
  • Leftover Roasted Broccoli
Toss it all together hot & serve! Simple. So easy.

You could also make the sauce from the above all by itself:
Gruyere Sauce:
  • 1 TBSp butter
  • 1 TBSp flour
  • 3/4 cup milk, heated
  • 1 tsp Dijon mustard
  • 1 tsp granulated garlic
  • 1/4 cup shredded Gruyere
Melt the butter over medium heat & whisk in the flour, cooking it for about 2 minutes. Slowly add in the milk, constantly whisking. Cook & whisk for a few more minutes until the sauce thickens. Take the saucepan off of the heat & add in the mustard, garlic & cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment