Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Monte Cristo Sandwich... my version

OK, this is my new favorite sandwich, my new favorite grilled cheese... it's like having French toast for dinner but so much more. I've always liked the idea of the actual Monte Cristo Sandwich but not the components. I generally don't like two meats together & I do not like Swiss cheese. But the idea of grilled ham & cheese, French toast-style- yum. Here's what I did...

Monte Cristo Sandwich

  • 2 pats of butter
  • 2 Slices White Bread
  • Couple of Slices of Deli Honey Ham
  • Freshly grated Gruyere Cheese
  • 1 Egg
  • a Pinch of Cinnamon

Scramble the raw egg in a bowl, whisk in the cinnamon.


Meanwhile, heat a non-stick griddle pan (any pan you'd use for a grilled cheese) on medium-high. Place a pat of butter on & allow it to melt & sizzle up. Dip one side of one piece of bread in the egg mix. Place the dipped side down onto the buttered griddle. Top it with the ham & then the grated Gruyere. Dip one side of the other slice of bread in the egg mix. Place the Non-dipped side onto the sandwich/cheese. When the bottom of the sandwich (touching the griddle) is browned on the edges, place the second pat of butter down & flip! Cook until the new side is also browned on the edges. 


OMGoodness, so good!!! The hint of the cinnamon complements the honeyed ham perfectly. Of course, you can use any type of ham & you can use Swiss cheese instead. You could also throw in the deli turkey. I had a craving for deli & I have to be careful- cooked is best for me so this came to mind & I am so glad it did. My new favorite concoction.

No comments:

Post a Comment