Friday, May 13, 2011

Grilled Flank Steak w/ Mushrooms

This is the first thing I made for my hubby, Michael years ago on my stove-top, grill pan, when we began dating. It was a hit because 1) he found out I could cook & 2) he lovesssss mushrooms- "shrooms"! So despite the fact I had not blogged this recipe yet, I chose to exchange it for the grilling recipe swap. My friend Harriet was the recipient- And Harriet is so sweet, she said she'd guest blog! She does a wonderful job too- love her descriptions- see below recipe...

Oh & I got Gianna's DELISH Marinated Flank Steak. Funny a flank steak for a... flank steak! 

Grilled Flank Steak w/ Mushrooms

  • 1 1/2 to 2 lbs. flank steak
  • S & P
  • 2 portobello mushrooms
  • 1/4 lb. cremini mushrooms 
  • 1/4 lb. button mushrooms
  • 3 large shallots, chopped
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 2 scallions, chopped- greens only
  • 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 4 TBSp low sodium soy sauce
  • 3 TBSp sugar 
Marinade: Cut the steak into 4 equal pieces. Season w/ S & P. Combine 2 shallots, 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, 1 TBSp sugar and 1 TBSp soy sauce in a resealable bag. Mix well. Marinate the steaks in the bag/mixture for 2 hours or more- overnight's best. 

Cut all of the mushrooms into 1/4 inch slices. In a skillet melt 1/2 of the butter & add 1/2 of the remaining chopped shallot. Heat over medium for 1 minute. Add portobellos and season with S & P. Simmer for 15 minutes and transfer to a bowl and keep warm. Repeat process with the cremini mushrooms except reduce the cooking time to 10 minutes. Add cooked portobellos back into the skillet... In a small bowl mix 2 TBSp of sugar, 3 TBSp of soy sauce and 1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar. Add to mushroom skillet & boil for 3 minutes or until the liquid is slightly reduced. Add chopped scallions. 

Preheat grill. Remove steaks from bag and dispose of marinade. Grill steaks until done, about 6-7 minutes per side. Remove from grill and cut into strips cross grain. Serve with mushrooms.

Harriet's Take:

I joined in on a recipe exchange on one of my message boards. The recipe theme was "grilling". I received Elisha's recipe for Grilled Flank Steak with Mushrooms. Normally, I'm not a big mushroom fan and don't cook with them too often (save for the Cream of Mushroom soup I make in my pressure cooker), so I was a bit hesitant with a recipe that was so full of mushrooms. Well, it was GREAT! The mushrooms were creamy in a balsamic and soy based sauce. It had a great tang. I'm a huge vinegar fan and really enjoy when it appears in recipes, especially in sauces. The flank steak (or in my case london broil) was marinated overnight and was very tender after grilling.

I did make a few changes. I don't typically change a recipe the first time I make it, but I only did it because of the ingredient availability at my local supermarket.  I used porcini and shitake mushrooms as well as the portobellos. And I did substitute a london broil for the flank steak, because I never have luck finding flank steak at my market (I'm probably not looking hard enough).

I'm going to keep this recipe on file. I'm sure I'll be making it soon since grilling season is afoot. Thanks Elisha!!!!

Regards,
Harriet

Thank you, Harriet!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment