Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Buttermilk Roasted Chicken


I am forever looking for good, healthy chicken recipes. Isn't everyone? We've also been having drumsticks once a week lately. They are so economical & easy. Over 3 lbs. for $4? Yes, please. So when this one caught my eye on Pinterest (Are you a Pinner? If not, you must ;) I say that in jest but I really love the ideas I get on there. My hubby has an ongoing joke about starting his own board called "DisPinterested". Ha! But, as I always say, he reaps the rewards of my internet savvy.) Well, when I saw the buttermilk part I was sold. It is a great, underused, lowfat ingredient. Then my friend Sarah at A Taste of Home Cooking made it. I took her advice & roasted the chicken longer & actually at a higher temperature. I also lined my cast iron pan with foil instead of using a regular baking pan. The verdict?

While the chicken was juicy indeed & we loved the paprika taste, something was still missing for me. I could definitely see using the marinating method for oven fried chicken. Or maybe as a good go to for summer grilling with spicy sides, etc. It was good but not worth the overnight prep when my Honey Lime Chicken comes out just.as.juicy & tastier at that!

<3 Lishie 

Buttermilk Roast Chicken
Modified by A Taste of Home Cooking 
Originally from Smitten Kitchen
  • 2 cups buttermilk
  • 5 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
  • 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika, plus extra for sprinkling
  • Lots of freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 1/2 to 3 pounds chicken parts
  • Drizzle of olive oil
  • Flaked or coarse sea salt
Whisk buttermilk with garlic, salt, sugar, paprika & lots of freshly ground black pepper in a bowl. Place chicken parts in a gallon-sized freezer bag (or lidded container) & pour buttermilk brine over them, then swish it around so that all parts are covered. Refrigerate for 24 & up to 48 hours.

When ready to roast, preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking dish with foil. Remove chicken from buttermilk brine & arrange in dish. Drizzle lightly with olive oil, then sprinkle with additional paprika & sea salt. Roast for 40-45 minutes for legs; until brown & a bit scorched in spots.

No comments:

Post a Comment