Friday, March 9, 2012

Homemade Mushroom, Arugula, & Ricotta Ravioli with Garlic Basil Olive Oil


Why. Whoa is me. Why oh why did I think, the first day coming off of a flu that I should make homemade Mushroom, Spinach, and ravioli? I mean seriously folks. Sometimes, I absolutely know that I’ve lost my mind. This was one of them.

But I digress. I know this wonderful blogger, Sarah from A Taste of Home Cooking who takes the time to organize fun bi-weekly recipe swaps. It’s a lot of work as I’ve hosted a couple so I am extremely appreciative. The category this time? Pasta. I submitted my Penne & Arugula in a Tomato Cream Sauce & got this delicious recipe from Melissa @Fried Ice & Donut Holes: Homemade Mushroom, Spinach, & Ricotta Ravioli with Rosemary Olive Oil. I read the title & knew my hubby would love the filling. He loves, loves, loves shrooms.

Here we are back to my story. So I am all excited to make these. At first, because of time, I have reservations in the supermarket. Should I buy wonton wrappers, pre-made, to make these? Then decide no. Melissa does say that these are easy. I bet they are when the kitchen isn’t post-flu cyclone with a runny-nose toddler craving mommy attention! LOL. Well, I threw my best pasta mound forward (thank you Mario Batali for teaching me the volcano/center crater for water/ pasta-making action! And thank goodness for my quartz countertops that make prep & cleanup easy!

Glad the countertops were so easy to clean because when I looked in the mirror, I looked like a “The Who” t-shirt/jeans wearing geisha with all of the flour on me. Then I noticed my tot had it on him too. OK. Well, besides the flour I made the rolled-out pasta too thick. & ugly. I knew it was too thick when hubby took a bite… I waited & he said, “No, it’s good. Kind of like pierogi.” HA HA. Ravioli like pierogi? This is bad. Though he enjoyed them but would prefer “sauce” over the olive oil which I had already adapted for HIM from Melissa’s rosemary-infused to basil-infused (I would have liked the rosemary, lol).

All in all a good, homemade pasta dinner that only took me… wait for it… an hour to make! Yes, I am fast. I would use the filling again (also would be great for a stuffed mushroom appy!) but I would buy pre-made ravioli wrappers. Buitoni has them! I am a scratch-made girl but some things I like getting from the experts. Pasta being one, yeast-made bread the other.

Thank you Melissa for a fun & delicious recipe! And thanks, Sarah for the swap.

Homemade Mushroom, Arugula, & Ricotta Ravioli with Garlic Basil Olive Oil
Slightly adapted from Fried Ice & Donut Holes

For the Dough:
  • 3 Eggs
  • 1 1/2 c Flour
  • 1/4 tsp Salt
  • Water
(I have to say, I am printing Melissa’s instructions below BUT I used Mario Batali’s Method ):
In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs.  Then, stir in the flour & salt.  Add water as needed, until a soft dough is formed.  *Be careful not to add too much water here. Knead the dough several times, then separate it into two large pieces.  On a lightly floured surface, roll out half of the dough into a very thin rectangle.  Spoon your filling by the teaspoonful at 1 1/2 inch intervals on top of the piece of rolled out dough.  Moisten your fingers with a little bit of water & wet the dough slightly around the circle of filling, to help the dough stick together when you top it.  Take the second piece of dough, roll it out into another very thin rectangle &carefully drape it over the top of the filling.  Slice the dough into individual raviolis, securing the edges with a gentle press.  At this step, the ravioli can be frozen or cooked immediately.  To cook, bring a pot of water to a boil.  Gently slide the ravioli one by one into the boiling water and cook for 6-8 minutes.  Serve immediately.

For the Filling:
  • 1 TBSp Olive Oil
  • 2 Garlic Cloves, crushed
  • 1 package (8 ounces) Mushrooms, finely chopped
  • 1 package (6 ounces) Baby Arugula, finely chopped
  • 1 c Ricotta Cheese
  • 1/4 c Parmesan, grated
  • 1/2 tsp Salt
  • Ground Pepper, to taste
In a large skillet, heat the olive oil &cook the garlic for about one minute.  Add the mushrooms & arugula, & cook until softened, about 3-5 minutes.  Remove from heat & pour into a medium bowl.Stir in the ricotta, parmesan, salt, & pepper.

Using the same sauté pan:
For the Basil Olive Oil:
  • Few pinches dried basil
  • 3-5 Garlic Cloves, crushed (I used 3)
  • 1 tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
  • 1/2 c Olive Oil
On low, heat the oil. Add in the basil, garlic, & pepper & on low heat, allow the flavors to meld for a few minutes.
Drizzle over freshly cooked ravioli in place of sauce.

4 comments:

  1. I still can't believe this only took an hour. You rock!

    Thanks for being part of the recipe swap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks awesome, flu and all. Hope you and G had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you liked the ravioli, even if they did take an hour to make! I completely agree with you that the filing would be delicious in stuffed shells. Hope that everybody feels better from the flu! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you ALL!!!

    we DO feel better!

    ReplyDelete