Thursday, March 3, 2011

French Onion Soup

I did not feel well today at all. So we got fast food. Yep. I said it... fast food as in McDonalds. The baby didn't- he has his own dinner already prepped in the fridge but, I choose wisely- grilled chicken & sweet tea. And here's a quote for you: "I never thought my culinary horizons would be broadened by fast food." Ha ha! But, in their mistake- they sent me a grilled chicken club (via my hubby) instead of the plain chicken sandwich. On it, besides bacon, was SWISS cheese! I never eat Swiss... it is for cartoon mice (not really, but...) I love Gruyere, not Swiss. Well, lo & behold, I did not mind it! How 'bout them apples?!


Well, since I did not cook (gasp) I had been meaning to blog this gem. It's my hubby's favorite- French onion soup. I made this 1/2 stove then let it finish simmering in the crock-pot. But it can be made on the stovetop, in a Dutch Oven...

French Onion Soup



  • 4-5 extra large sweet onions (I used Vidalia-like ones from Peru)
  • 4 TBsp butter, unsalted
  • 2 quarts beef broth
  • 2 cups dry, white wine
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 TBsp fresh thyme leaves, minced (I used herbs de provence) 
  • Loaf of sourdough bread, sliced, toasted or a day old.
  • Shredded Gruyere Cheese

1) Quarter the onions & slice 1/4" thick.
2) On Medium-Low heat, melt butter in dutch oven, add onions. Stir every 7-8 minutes & cook until onions are soft & caramelized, about an hour. Add the wine & let it reduce completely, about 15 minutes.
3) Add the broth, water & thyme. Higher the heat to Medium & cover... simmer/cook for 3 hours. 
4) Just before serving, top with a slice of the sourdough bread & sprinkle with the gruyere (I used a vegetable peeler & sliced super-thin slivers of the cheese over the top). Broil until cheese is melted.
Serves 8-10.

*Lishie tip- It's all in the carmelized onions. Take the time! You can change up the wine option to red, anything you prefer & you can sub. veggie stock to make this vegetarian. Also, you can let it simmer in the crock-pot after the initial part of the process. ANYTHING made in a Dutch oven or stockpot on the stove can be tweaked for the slow-cooker!


Individual Serving!
Prepped & ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment