Monday, March 14, 2011

Cheese Calzones

I love cheese. And I love "pockets full of cheese-y goodness" so calzones & me- we're a perfect match :) And the hubby likes them too. And yes, I cheat- I buy pizzeria dough. But it's GOOD (& fast) & I don't enjoy making bread... so why not?



Cheese Calzones

  • AP Flour (enough to sprinkle to roll out the dough)
  • 1 bag of Pizzeria Dough 
  • 15 oz. ricotta cheese 
  • 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1 TBSp fresh parsley
  • S & P
  • 2 TBSp olive oil
  • Freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.


In a medium bowl, mix the ricotta, mozzarella, parsley & S & P together & set aside.


Divide the dough into four circles. (I did three for 1 large/2 smaller) Sprinkle some flour & roll out each ball of dough. Place 1/4 of the cheese mix into the center of one of the rolled out doughs. Pull one side over carefully so as to not create holes, folding the dough over the cheese filling & seal the ends. Repeat for the rest.


Brush olive oil over the calzones then grate parmesan onto the oil. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.

*Lishie tips- These are simply cheese calzones but you can also toss into the cheese mixture filling 1/4 cup of diced, cooked pepperoni, sausage, meatball... spinach, broccoli, mushrooms... you name it... just make sure it's not too much or the 'zone will 'splode!!! Serve with some marinara sauce for dipping.

And here's where I show I'm Irish & not Italian, in my dough rolling technique, ha! But it sure was delicious!
Yes, my 'zone 'sploded some, but still tasty! 

Pocketful of Cheese-y Goodness!

No comments:

Post a Comment