Monday, February 28, 2011

Strip House Potatoes Romanoff on the side...

Yummy, cheesy, potato-y goodness!
So since I was making French Onion Beef Sandwiches Au Jus, what to make on the side? I saw that Williams-Sonoma posted a recipe for New York City's Strip House Potatoes Romanoff & thought ohhhhh how wonderful! These potatoes are delicious at the steak house... Let's see if I can make them! And they came out pretty, pretty close!!! And I LOVE the method of baking the potatoes, then refrigerating them overnight. I am going to borrow what I learned & use the same technique next time I make my potato pancakes!


Some Changes: 
I made it a little, teeny, tiny bit "healthier"... my changes in parenthesis:

  • 3 large russet potatoes, about 2 lb. total, unpeeled and scrubbed  
  • 3/4 cup minced shallots  (I used 3 large shallots, which I grated on the small side of the grater)
  • 2 1/2 cups grated white cheddar cheese (I used 1 & 1/2 cups)
  • 2 tsp. kosher salt 
  • 1/4 tsp. freshly ground white pepper 
  • 1 1/2 cups sour cream (I used LESS than a cup!) 
Strip House Potatoes Romanoff
As a side to complement French Onion Beef Au Jus Sandwiches
Preheat an oven to 425ºF.

Wrap each potato in aluminum foil and pierce several times with a fork. Place the potatoes directly on the oven rack and bake until tender, about 1 hour. Remove the foil and let the potatoes cool to room temperature. Place the potatoes on a plate, wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.


The next day, preheat the oven to 350ºF.


Using the large holes of a box grater, grate the potatoes, including the skins. Transfer to a bowl and sprinkle the shallots, 1 3/4 cups of the cheese, the salt and white pepper on top. Using your hands, gently toss the mixture together to combine, then fold in the sour cream in 2 additions.


Transfer the potato mixture to a 1 1/2-quart gratin dish; do not compress. Sprinkle the remaining 3/4 cup cheese on top. Bake until the potatoes are hot and the cheese is golden brown, about 30 minutes. Serves 6.


Recipe courtesy of Strip House.



No comments:

Post a Comment