Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Zucchini Bread (Quick Bread)

The other day, after I made the Zucchini Quiche I had leftover veg. ... not enough to make a meal out of but certainly enough to make a loaf of quick bread. My bread recipes make enough batter for two loaf pans but I tweaked my recipe in my head to just make one: 



I love this recipe because it's very versatile- You can add a ripe, mashed banana (right after the zucchini in the recipe), nuts, dried cranberries or chocolate chips (add the latter three at the very end of the recipe). Try this bread with your children- Gabriel loves zucchini but I have a feeling even if your child turns his little nose at veggies, the cinnamony-goodness of this bread will win him over! YUM.


Zucchini Bread 
1 egg + 1 egg white
1/2 cup canola oil
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup grated zucchini
1 tsp vanilla
1 & 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 & 1/2 tsp cinnamon
a pinch of nutmeg
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Grease & flour one Loaf pan (I love to use a glass dish).


Beat together eggs... mix in the oil & sugar & slowly add the zucchini, then the vanilla.


In a separate bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder & salt.


Add dry flour mixture slowly into the wet egg mixture. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf dish.


Bake for 45 minutes (or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.)




Look at all those bits of green goodness!

No comments:

Post a Comment