Saturday, February 12, 2011

Crock-Pot Peppered Steak, Made, as always, with LOVE

Today was my local Moms Group's Valentines Party & it was so much fun! Everything was potluck & wow, so delicious!!! I decided, after checking on what everyone was bringing, to make peppered steak. When you hear "Crock-Pot", it generally brings to mind the words "simple" & "unattended". BUT when you are making food for 30+ people (not counting the 21 kids) it's never easy... I have tweaked a recipe for this a couple of times & I finally have it just right.

For the party, I DOUBLED the amounts below in my 6 Quart Crock-Pot:

Crock-Pot Peppered Steak

2 lbs. beef sirloin (I use Angus)
1 tsp garlic powder
1-2 TBsp canola oil
1/4 cup hot beef stock 
1 TBsp corn starch
1 large onion, sliced
3-4 large bell peppers, sliced (I use a mix of green & red/yellow/orange)
1, 15 oz. can tomato sauce
2 TBsp soy sauce (I use reduced sodium)
1 TBsp A1 ;) My secret weapon! HA HA!
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp of both, S & P
**1/4 cup beef stock 


Let beef rest out of the refrigerator to get the chill off. Season with the garlic powder... (Either in your crockpot, if you have a stovetop dutch C-P) OR in a skillet, heat the canola oil on medium-high... Sear (brown quickly) the whole Sirloin on both sides, then transfer it to the crock-pot.
Heat the beef stock (I microwave the stock in my Pyrex measuring glass)... then dissolve the corn starch.  Pour it over the meat. Add the tomato sauce, soy sauce, A1, sugar, onion & the S & P. 


*Here's where you are forced to make a decision... convenience & very soft peppers OR a little extra work with the outcome of peppers with some bite still to them? IF you choose convenience, ADD THE BELL PEPPERS HERE... Cook on LOW for 6-8 hours. When it's done, use tongs to "break" up the sirloin into bite-sized pieces.


IF you choose the "extra work" option... Place the cover on & cook on LOW for 8 hours... At 6 hours, use tongs to "break" up the sirloin into bite-sized pieces... Ladle the steak pieces out, leaving the liquid, into a bowl, refrigerate. Add the bell peppers into the crock-pot & **1/4 cup of beef stock... Cook on LOW for 1 & 1/2- 2 hours. At last half hour/end of pepper cook time, add in the meat & mix together... If your Crock-pot has a warming option, you are good to go!

Since I was serving to others, not just our little family who loves soft peppers, I decided on the extra work & "bite" option. I definitely think it paid off. The meat was so unbelievably tender, the sauce, delicious, & the peppers, in tact with a bit of a crunch. I *think* it was a crowd pleaser since I came home with an empty crock-pot!

[The "funny" for this post- since I began this @ 10pm  & the steak simmered all night... then I added the peppers early this morning (it was a lunch-time party)... my hubby said it felt like he had eaten it ALL night ;) HA HA! But, of course, he still had some!]


No comments:

Post a Comment