Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Definitely Not Made in China

Happy Chinese New Year! This year, the Chinese New Year falls on February 3rd & it's the Year of the Rabbit! In our home, we will be learning about it through a toddler's eyes this year (using crafts & a book as always) but I love to serve traditional foods... Unfortunately, the more authentic foods (egg rolls, noodles & fishcakes) will have to wait till the weekend, but tonight, as a nod to Chinese-American culture, I decided to make Fortune Cookies! Nothing is as non-authentic Chinese as these San Francisco-originated cookies. They still are associated with Fortune or "Fook":

I made these. They were so easy (especially using a Silpat) & the recipe is perfect & tasty! I made little, hand-written notes (wasn't going crazy here after working all day... it's meant to be fun!):

6 Cookies/ 6 Messages:
2- "You are Loved"
2- "You are Blessed"
2- "Not Made in China" ;)
These (normally stale "afterthoughts" in takeout places) were so tasty & fresh- absolutely delish! 
I brought the plate right down to my Mother & Father-in-Law to share... On a mixed plate, they both chose "You are Blessed". Yes, we all are. Gung Hay Fat Choy!
Nope, not a perfect circle but perfection's highly overrated!
I am Fortune- ate :)

No comments:

Post a Comment