Monday, February 28, 2011

Sandwiches! French Onion Roast Beef Au Jus (Slow-Cooker)

Oh this was really, really delicious... The house was enveloped in the simmering scent from early on. When I came home from work, the aroma was intoxicating. Make this!!! It is truly a treat, especially after a hard day. It is so good!!!!!
Serve with Potatoes Romanoff on the side!

So how to make it? Au Jus simply means “in it’s own juice” the jus part is juice. Simple enough but most recipes call for adding pre-made packets, etc. which I try really hard not to use. Why not? They are packed with sodium & words I cannot pronounce disguised as preservatives. I had to figure out how to make this fresh since I love to use fresh ingredients. That being said, I took a tiny shortcut & used a little Lipton Soup powder. Please forgive me?!

French Onion Roast Beef Au Jus (Slow-Cooker)
(French Dipping Sandwiches)


  • 1 2.5 lb. beef roast (I used bottom round)
  • salt and pepper
  • 2 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1-2 tsp oregano
  • 2 medium onions, sliced
  • 1 TBSp fresh parsley
  • 2 TBSp- of the “powder only” from a 1-ounce package dry onion soup mix
  • 2 c. water
  • 32 oz. beef broth
  • 6 large buns OR French crusty bread
  • Your favorite cheese (ours- either provolone, mozzarella or cheddar) 


Spice up the entire roast with salt & pepper. Sear the meat on all sides in a dutch oven or saute pan (I used my crock-pot since it's stove-top friendly). Place the meat in the slow-cooker & brush it with the garlic & oregano. Add the onion slices, parsley, soup powder, water & broth.

Set on LOW for 8-10 hours (I cooked mine for 9 hours- perfection). Shred the meat into it's own juices. Serve on crusty French bread rolls BUT dip the bread into the "jus" FIRST! Top with cheese. (We had it with sharp, white Cheddar because the side had the same cheese.) Serve with a little bowl of the "jus" along-side. DeLish!!!

The roast after simmering 9 hours
Shredded
"jus"
I shared some with my Mother-in-Law & I will be bringing in some for lunch too, plenty leftover.

1 comment:

  1. Lish, Wow, simply wow! You are tooo good! This looks spectacular and I'm licking my chops just looking at your pictures imaging eating it.

    ReplyDelete