Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Gingery Chicken ~ Slowcooker

So it's back to work after a long, beautiful Memorial Day weekend. I had the prep time so I went ahead & readied this dish for the day back to work. I recently got America's Test Kitchen "Slowcooker Revolution" Cookbook & I was so excited. I love ATK & their recipes are delicious & trustworthy. Plus they explain why some things work & some things do not. This recipe is adapted from one in their book. Since I only have a 6 Quart Crock-Pot, I made 3 split chicken breasts which is enough for our family.


The chicken came out mighty juicy & the sauce is yummy... I made white rice on the side & poured the gingery sauce over it. As another side, I made roasted cauliflower, adding one tsp of fresh, minced ginger to the dressing. Silly me was too tired/too sick- forgot to take pictures of the dish all gussied up! ;) Sorry! 

Slowcooker Gingery Chicken, adapted from America's Test Kitchen

  • 2 TBSp Canola Oil
  • 3 Split, bone-in Chicken Breasts
  • 1 Onion, chopped small
  • 3 large Garlic Cloves, minced
  • 3 TBSp fresh Ginger, minced
  • 1/4 cup AP Flour
  • 1 cup Chicken Broth
  • 3 TBSp Soy Sauce (I always use low-sodium)
  • 1 TBSp Sugar
  • S & P
  • 2 Scallion stalks, Optional topping

On medium-high, heat the canola oil & brown the chicken breasts on both sides. Do it in batches if you need the room. <<*My crock-pot is stove-top friendly. If yours is not, use a large saute pan.>> Remove the browned chicken pieces. In the same oil, saute the onion till it is clear, about 8-10 minutes. Add the garlic & 2 TBSp of the ginger... saute for another minute. 


Mix in the flour & cook while stirring for a minute. While whisking, add in the chicken broth & get all of the good, brown bits up! <<*If you are using a saute pan, TRANSFER to the crock-pot now.>> Add in the soy sauce, sugar & S & P & whisk till combined. Nestle in the chicken pieces... 


Cook on LOW for 4-6 hours. Remove the chicken & place on serving platter. Skim the fatty oil off of the top of the sauce then add in the last TBSp of ginger. Ladle sauce over chicken pieces. Serve the chicken topped with scallions.

No comments:

Post a Comment