Sunday, June 12, 2011

Lemon Meringue Squares



Whisk in background is Gabriel"s first Whisk!
Friends take heed- when you speak, I listen & remember! Father Paul, our Pastor, gave a homily a long while back for & about his dear aunt & how she made him his favorite- Lemon Meringue Pie. Well, this month Father Paul (well, rather Monsignor Paul, although no one calls him that) celebrates his 35th Anniversary of his Priesthood! What a wonderful reason to celebrate  & to bake. Not only did Father Paul marry me & my hubby, but he also Christened Gabriel. So I chose a more portable "squared" down tinier version of the pie! 




Now onto the Lemon Meringue Squares... Problem is, I do not like citrusy dessert. Nope, I do not eat them. (See Key Lime Pie blog post). It's funny because I am from Florida! LOL But not only does this ring true & hilarious but it hinders my "tasting to see if it's ok" skills. So I hope they came out tasty & delish (I think they did from the one I demolished) but I'll have to see! This may be the only recipe I've actually prayed for to come out well ;)


Happy 35th Anniversary of your Priesthood Father Paul!

Lemon Meringue Squares
Loosely adapted from: Cooks.com 
(so loosely, I am re-writing it.)

  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 1/2 cup confectioners sugar, sifted
  • 2 TBSp Lemon Zest
  • 2 Eggs, separated
  • 1 cup Flour, sifted
  • 1/2 cup Sugar
  • 1 TBSp Lemon juice

Preheat the oven to 350. Line a 9x9" pan with parchment paper, then spray with cooking spray.


With the paddle attachment on the mixer, cream the shortening & confectioners sugar together until light & fluffy. Blend in lemon zest. 


In another mixer bowl, with the wire whisk attachment, beat the egg yolks until thick and light.  Then, again using the paddle attachment, add the yolks to the first mixture. Slowly add flour & mix until smooth. Spread and pat this (very stiff) mixture in a thin even layer into the readied pan. Bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes.



Meanwhile, using the wire whisk attachment, beat the egg whites, adding sugar gradually while beating,  until the mix is fluffy. Beat until stiff, but not dry. 


Fold in lemon juice a little at a time. Spread over baked layer. Return to oven and bake 15 minutes longer. Cool & cut into small squares.


*Lishie tip- Cold eggs separate better... Do not get any yolk into the white! And room temperature egg whites, stiffen best! So allow the egg whites to get to room temperature before whisking.

No comments:

Post a Comment