Saturday, June 11, 2011

Avocado Love... & Guacamole

I love, love, love avocados. It may have something to do with the fact that we had an avocado tree in our yard growing up in Florida (along with grapefruit, lemons & oranges). And for this reason, I do not subscribe to the "Hass Avocados are best" sentiment. They are wonderful, especially in season (spring through Fall), but each different type of avocado has their own season.

Just know these Lishie tips for picking a delicious, ripe avocado:

1) The fruit should have no visible bruises or marring.
2) If a stem is attached, it should remove easily. This shows ripeness.
3) If, when held & squeezed gently, there's a little give, it is ripe.
4) When you shake the avocado by your ear, it should not rattle. This means it is overly ripe.

This all being said, I LOVE them!!! I make/eat avocado shakes, slices in salad, in sandwiches/pitas... I'll eat slices alone, on their own, like I did growing up. It is just.so.good... Here's my recipe for guacamole. Every one who makes it makes it differently, to their liking. I am not good with spice but do add some jalapenos if you like!

I love my Flip Flop dish too!
Guacamole

  • 4 avocados, cut/pitted
  • 1 tsp Lemon Zest 
  • 2 TBSp Lemon Juice
  • a handful of chopped Cilantro
  • 1 small Red Onion, finely chopped
  • 2 Garlic Cloves, Minced
  • Pinch of Salt

Slice up the avocado into chunks & squeeze the lemon juice over it. Add the zest, cilantro, red onion, garlic & salt. Combine all & serve.





No comments:

Post a Comment