Monday, February 20, 2012

Skillet Sausage Lasagna

I was so excited for this one! I really wish I was a better picture taker because boy do I stink! Sorry! But it was yummy just the same. This was smaller & easier than my usual lasagna & that is always a good thing. I made my homemade sauce BUT you can certainly use jarred. AND you can most certainly use no boil noodles. I think I would bake it longer with them though.

When we went on our shopping excursion this week, I meant to buy ground beef for this. But it was expensive & I saw the sweet Italian sausage was on sale for a great price. It looked great but it was not a brand I have had before. Lo & behold, it was tremendously salty. The salt permeated the entire dish. So be careful with ingredients! This is why on Top Chef, the chefs are expected to make their own sausage from scratch. Thank goodness little 'ol me is just a home cook, huh? ;) It tasted ok all the same...

Enjoy!
<3 Lishie

Skillet Lasagna
inspired by: Generation Y Foodie

  • 1lb Italian sweet sausage, casings removed
  • 1 box lasagna noodles 
  • 6 cups pasta sauce, about
  • 8 oz part skim ricotta cheese
  • 1-2 cups mozzarella, shredded
  • 4 tbsp grated parmesan, divided
  • 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
  • fresh parsley, chopped



Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Saute sausage (casing having been removed) in olive oil on medium heat until browned. Drain cooked sausage & set aside.


Boil the lasagna strips until al dente then set aside to slightly cool (enough to be hand-held).


Lasagna Layering/Set-up:
Begin with a thin layer of sauce at the bottom of the skillet. I used my 10" cast iron skillet. Make sure it the skillet you use is oven-safe.


Line the lasagna noodles over the sauce layer. Tear the noodles to fit. It does not have to be perfect!

Layer 1/2 the sausage on top of the noodles. 

Sprinkle with some shredded mozzarella & some grated parmesan.


Layer with sauce.

Again, layer with the noodles. 

Layer last 1/2 of the sausage crumbles.


Sprinkle with some shredded mozzarella & some grated parmesan.

Layer with sauce.

Sprinkle remaining parmesan on the top

Dollop large spoonfuls of ricotta equally across the top of the lasagna

Cover with foil & bake for 20 minutes. Then remove the foil & bake until browned on top.

Serve sprinkled with parsley

Oh & Happy Presidents Day!!!

4 comments:

  1. Lish, this looks gorgeous!! Wow and the taste factor sounds delectable! Yummy comfort and tasty food at its BEST. Lish, keep us happy, and keep blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lish, you are a PRO!!! Love your pictures and your recipes!!!! Perfect!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You may not consider the picture appealing, but I'm sure the taste says otherwise. :') Skillet sausage and potato casserole is my favorite. I always ask my mom to make one. It's best served with a vegetable salad too. Nom nom!

    ReplyDelete