Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Chicken Kiev

I LOVE America's Test Kitchen (ATK). Their recipes are always spot on & Christopher Kimball is extremely nice. I've spoken to him at Book Expo a couple of times. He has a bow-tie stamper that he uses next to his signature. Love that! And Jack Bishop, editorial director at ATK is nice too! I have so many of their cookbooks. 


Chicken Kiev is Ukranian. It's one of those classic dishes & this recipe is the perfect one to use a cookbook for because it seems intricate until you get it broken down by the ATK guys! I adapted it a little- I used panko instead of making my own bread crumbs & I excluded the fresh tarragon but the rest I stayed true to ATK.


There's nothing like chicken kiev when you cut into the chicken breast & that hot, steaming herbed butter comes oozing out! YUM.


Enjoy! 

Chicken Kiev
adapted from America's Test Kitchen


Herb Butter

  • 8 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 tbsp minced shallot
  • 1 tbsp minced fresh parsley leaves
  • 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
  • 3/8 tsp table salt
  • 1/8 tsp black pepper
Chicken
  • bread crumbs
  • 2 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 cup AP flour
  • 3 large eggs, beaten
  • 1 tsp Dijon mustard


For the Herb Butter: Mix ingredients with rubber spatula until combined. Form into a 3 inch square on plastic wrap; wrap tightly & refrigerate until firm, 1 hour.

For the Chicken:

Pound the chicken between two sheets of wax paper until 1/4 inch thick. Unwrap butter and cut into 4 rectangular pieces. Place chicken breast cut side up on work surface. season both sides with salt and pepper. Place 1 piece of butter in center of bottom half of breast. Roll bottom edge of chicken over butter, then fold in sides & continue rolling to form neat, tight package pressing on seam to seal. Repeat with remaining butter and chicken. Regrigerate uncovered to allow edges to seal, 1 hour. (You can refrigerate it overnight too, so it can be prepped in advance.)

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. 

Place flour, eggs, & bread crumbs in separate pie plates or shallow dishes. (Your mis en place). Season flour with S&P, season bread crumbs with S&P. Add mustard to eggs & whisk to combine. Dredge 1 chicken breast in flour, shaking off excess, then coat with egg mixture allowing excess to drip off. Coat all sides of chicken breast with bread crumbs, pressing gently so that crumbs adhere. Place on wire rack set over rimmed baking sheet. Repeat flouring and breading on remaining chicken breasts.

Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until chicken is cooked through (I say this because mine had to cook longer.) Let rest 5 minutes on wire rack before serving.

The Bow-tie Stamp
<3 Lishie (Elisha)

5 comments:

  1. Yum! i cannot wait to make this. My mother first made it for me when I was around 10 and I've loved it ever since! That yummy butter running out of the middle is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it! Wish I could make it for you!
      Let me know how it is- glad I brought back memories!

      Delete
  2. I've been wanting to try this forever. I can't wait to make it now. :)

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awww, please let me know how you like it when you do make it!

      Delete
    2. Ohhhhhhhhh it's you, Heather!!!!! :) :) :)

      Delete