Friday, February 10, 2012

Recipe SWAP~ Potatoes!

Have I said just how much I LOVE the recipe swaps Sarah from ATaste of Home Cooking hosts? They are so fun & help me with my creativity. This time around Potatoes was the theme. I LOVE potatoes. My hubby? not as much a fan as I but he still enjoys them. I gave my Rosemary-Lemon Smashed New Potatoes & received Christen's, from "Cooking with Christen", Corn, Leek & Potato Chowder. YUMMMM!!!!

But... the hubby doesn't like corn chowder, or any thick soup for that matter. I was ready to make the soup for myself, then got worried I wouldn't have time to eat the leftovers. So, I thought, how can I use ALL of the ingredients in a way that stays true to Christen's initial intent? At first, I thought corn-cakes but then inspiration hit me in the form of a side for hub's steak! And this was born:

Baked Corn, Leeks & Cheesy Potatoes
  • 1 cup sliced leek
  • 2 cups frozen hash brown potatoes
  • 8 oz. can of “no salt added" corn
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 cup fat-free milk
  • 1 cup reduced-fat ricotta
  • 1 cup pre-shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Heat a large saucepan coated with cooking spray.  Over medium heat, cook the leeks for about two minutes.  Add the potatoes, corn, salt & pepper and cook another three minutes, stirring occasionally. 

Remove from heat & mix in the milk, ricotta & cheddar cheese. Pour into a baking dish. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the top is browned. Serve.

Thank you so much to Sarah for hosting again! And Christen, thank you for a yummy recipe!!!! I will also be making the soup for ME... I LOVE chowder!
<3 Lishie

4 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I'm glad you and your husband ended up liking it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you were able to turn this into something you both could enjoy. The chowder and the potato cakes both sound delicious.

    Thanks for being part of the swaps!

    ReplyDelete