I LOVE the Blogger's Choice Swaps! Love. I get to peruse a blog I may not have known or a friend's blog. Here, I was introduced to Jenni of DoughSeeDough. How cute is her blog name?!? Adorbs. I love her healthier choices. And I had a hard time weening my choice to one! But I did... & I have filed away a couple of others in my brain to do soon! If I had more time, I'd be blogging a lot more.
Now I love Tex Mex food but my hubby does not. And I love beans, he does not. So I rarely make either at home. I took advantage of the swap to make the Copy Cat Burrito Bowl. I love Chipotle too much. I could eat it every day. And I alternate between the burrito & the bowl... I used Jenni's seasonings (yummmmmmmmm) & my usual burrito bowl choices for this one. And went vegetarian but I do also enjoy shredded pork or grilled chicken! I will make it again... & again. And I was sooooooooo happy!
Oh, one more thing... I cannot have brown rice so, to make it healthier for me, I swiped it out for white.
Copy Cat Burrito Bowl
adapted from doughseedough
- 3 cups white rice
- 1 lime, zested & juiced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, roughly chopped, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1/2 cup reduced fat cheddar cheese, shredded
Other optional toppings:
- Sour cream (check!)
- Hot sauce
- Cook rice according to package directions. I use a rice cooker & use a 1 cup rice: 2 cups water ratio. When rice is cooked, mix with 1/4 cup cilantro, lime zest and lime juice.
- Meanwhile, mix chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, & oregano together & sprinkle generously over beans.
- In a separate bowl, make the pico de gallo. Combine tomatoes, 1/4 cup cilantro, red onion, salt & pepper. Toss to combine.
- To assemble: place rice in bowl and top with black beans, shredded cheese, & any other toppings you desire. Enjoy!