Monday, October 10, 2011

Warm Brussels Sprouts & Apple Slaw


Yes, I love brussels sprouts. Maybe too much since I can eat the entire batch myself. Normally, my favorite way to cook them is sauteed & caramelized with pancetta or bacon but on the way home the other night I kept thinking about the beautiful honeycrisp apples sitting in the fruit bowl, then my mind wandered to the brussels sprouts I had to make that night. Hmmm, could I combine them? My mind said yes, but how? Then I thought about cole slaw. It's just shredded cabbage... & sprouts are from the cabble family. Cabbage & apple marry well. Hmmm... & this came about. The perfect side for an autumn dinner. This would go perfect with pork chops or ham or hot dogs made inside... Really, the choices are endless:

Warm Brussels Sprouts & Apple Slaw
  • 2 TBSp Canola Oil
  • 1 lb. Brussels Sprouts, cleaned & shredded
  • 1/4 cup diced Apple
  • Zest & Juice of 1 Lemon
  • S & P
On medium-high heat, warm the oil. Add in the shredded sprouts. Meanwhile chop the apple & mix with the lemon zest & 1/2 lemon juice. When sprouts are wilted in the pan, add the apple. Cook for another minute. Squeeze the second half of the lemon juice on cooked mixture, add salt & Pepper to taste. Serve & enjoy!

<3 Lishie

No comments:

Post a Comment