Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Recipe Swap~ Basil Dumplings & Chicken Soup

Another successful swap! The theme this time was Soup. I submitted my Broccoli~Cheddar & got this yummy deliciousness in return from Melissa at "Delicious Meliscious". When I read about her work to mommy at night day, I really could sympathize. I feel the same way... I awake @5:30am, shower, dress... run to catch my 6am commuter bus to NYC. I walk a mile to work, grab breakfast then leave at 3pm... walk the mile back to my commuter bus * get home hopefully by 4:30! Spend a few minutes with my toddler & prepare dinner & eat... cleanup then get every thing ready for the next day... bath-time for tot, reading, bed... Whoa. I am exhausted just typing my schedule! So for this soup, I prepped all of the veg on Sunday- Washed, cleaned & peeled & chopped. You can get a homemade dinner on the table working moms~ take it from me. It just takes planning, prep & organization. 


I used my dutch oven for the soup rather than my crock-pot. And I used a "soup starter kit" from the grocery store produce section. Do you know what that is? Our store has a package with each one of these items:  Onion, carrot, parsnip, celery, turnip & potato.. it also came with a leek (which I'll be using for another recipe this week). These kits are money-savers in my opinion & allow me to use all the veg I'd want in my soup as well as my added dill, which is such a yummy herb. Because of the starch from the potato, I didn't need to use the cornstarch. I still had a thick & satisfying broth.

I stayed exactly on point with the provided dumpling recipe originally adapted from Cooking Light, although I did create buttermilk mixing vinegar & milk. They came out so good!!!


Thank you so much, Melissa for such a wonderful & warming Fall swap choice. I'll put this on my rotation now! YUMMM for leftovers too...


Chicken & Basil Dumplings
adapted from Delicious Meliscious


Soup Ingredients:
  • 1-2 TBSp Olive Oil
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 large carrot, cut into  2" pieces
  • 1 small parsnip, cut into  2" pieces
  • 1 celery stalk, chopped into 2" pieces
  • 1 small turnip, chopped into 2" pieces
  • 1 medium, red Potato, skin on, chopped into 2" pieces 
  • 64 oz. low sodium Chicken broth
  • S & P
  • 2 split Chicken breasts, bone in, skin on 
  • fresh Dill, chopped
  • fresh Parsley, chopped

Soup Directions:


Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onions &  cook for 3-4 minutes or until softened. Add the carrot, parsnip, celery, turnip & potato.  Cook, stirring constantly for about a minute. Add the chicken broth & S&P. Cover and cook on medium low for 45 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.


Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degree. take the chicken breasts, skin side up, on a baking sheet & rub them with olive oil. sprinkle with s & p.Roast for 35-40 minutes, until chicken is cooked through. Set aside to cool. When cooled, remove the chicken from the bone & shred it (getting rid of skin & bones.) Add the shredded chicken to the soup, along with the chopped dill.


Dumplings:
  • 1 1/4 cups of flour
  • 1/2 tsp dried basil
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 2 tbsp butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup 2% Milk
  • 1 tsp White Vinegar
  • 1 large egg, lightly beaten

Combine the flour with basil, garlic powder, salt, & baking powder in a large bowl. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender (or back of a fork) until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Whisk together milk, vinegar & egg. Add milk mixture to flour mixture, stirring until just combined.


Drop dumpling dough, 1-2 tsp per dumpling, into the chicken soup.Cover and cook for 7 minutes (DO NOT LET THE BROTH BOIL).  Add the chopped parsley to the soup & enjoy!
<3 Lishie


11 comments:

  1. I'm glad you liked the soup! I need to look for the starter kits at my grocery - sounds like a real time & money saver! Cute blog, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Melissa! It was yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds great!

    If I was going to use my crockpot, what would the directions be?

    I need to be able to leave the apartment and not worry about an open flame and I don't want to my cats setting themselves on fire while I am busy changing or feeding the new baby! My cats are cute, but not always bright.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pokey, Just go to Melissa's link (adapted by...) Her's is crock-pot friendlier :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. And you can use a combo of the veg ingredients from both recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks! I missed seeing the link first read through.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a delicious soup. And I love that you prepped everything the night before. I do that, or in the morning since I'm not out the door quite as early as you. :)

    Thanks for being part of the recipe swap!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for hosting the swap & having me, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marvelous recipe! Thank you for sharing it with us and great job in supplying us with all of these wonderful cooking recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lish, this soup looks and sounds DeLish! I love comfort in a bowl!!! AND speaking of bowls, I am in love with your soup bowl in your picture!! It is a gorgeous crock soup bowl !! . Thanks for sharing all your recipe swaps!!! Thanks for all your hard work on your DeLish blog!! Keep up the great work!!! You keep me inspired and smiling!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohhhh that is a Fall themed soup mug Carol! Couldn't remember :)

    ReplyDelete