Thursday, July 7, 2011

Dulce de Leche Cookies

So I have a great extended family, little though it may be. And when my beautiful cousin Kelly suggested I make these Dulce de Leche cookies, or Alfajores, I could not refuse. Why? Ummmm, first, I didn't want to not make them (dulce de leche anything?!? YUM) & secondly, she is in culinary school & had already tested this recipe so I knew it was a winner. I love Breyer's dulce de leche ice cream... love. So I gave this a go... 


Alfajores ~ Dulce de Leche Cookies 
Slightly adapted from Bake List

  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • ½ cup white sugar
  • 2 large egg yolks
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup cornstarch
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon kosher salt
  • 14 oz. dulce de leche/caramel sauce*
  • Optional powdered sugar
*I only found imported, sweetened condensed milk at my grocery store so I bought it, 14 oz. can, & slowly simmered it on the stove, on low, in my small sauce pan. If you do this- do not allow it to boil! The caramel sauce won't get as dark as the pictures from Bake List but tastes just as delicious!!!
1.  In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar on medium speed until smooth.  Add the egg yolks, egg, and vanilla, beating until combined.
2.  In a medium bowl, mix together the 2 cups flours, cornstarch, salt, and baking powder.  Add to the butter mixture in small increments, beating until blended.  Divide the dough in half, pressing each half into a disk, wrap the disks in plastic and the freeze until firm, about 30 minutes.
3.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Unwrap dough on a lightly floured surface.  Rolling one disk at a time to 1/8 of an inch thickness.  Cut out 2-3 inch diameter rounds*, placing about one inch apart on a buttered baking sheet.  Bake for about 10 minutes, or until the cookies just begin to turn golden brown.  Let cool completely on a cooling rack.
4.  To make sandwiches, spread about 1 tablespoon of the mixed dulce de leche on a cookie, then top with another cookie, twisting to spread the filling.  Dust with powdered sugar (never an "optional" for me ;) ) 
*Lishie tip- If you do not have a biscuit cutter or round cookie cutter this size, improvise! Use a mini glass prep dish or a clean, small food can. Or use another cookie cutter shape- see my heart shape below :) 
Thank you, Cousin Kelly! xo 

OMGoodness, was Kelly soooo right!!! These are amazing. I mean, if you love dulce de leche anything, make these right now. That good. But I have to warn you- these cookies are extremely sweet. Very. Don't say you haven't been warned ;) And this recipe only yields about 1 dozen & a half cookie sandwiches so few reap the rewards. Well, just make TWO batches then! And finally, two things- you need a rolling pin & have to be careful making the end product- the cookies are fragile. Now gooooooooo bake!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment