Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Snowy, Sleety & all-around, Some-Tuesday, Day! Crock-Pot Peppered Steak

I knew today was going to be rough even before the snow started falling last night so I planned on crock-potting it. I am so glad I did! It made the house smell delicious all grey-rainy-sleety-yucky-I-was-off-because-things-needed-to-be-done day. And I had something to look forward to!

So at 8am I prepped the pot with stuffed peppers. This crock-pot meal is not for everyone since the peppers come out extremely soft & just kind of "melt" into the stuffing once it's plated. This is a part the DeMaria household all love, including toddler Gabriel.  And I like to use some combination of green/red/orange/yellow peppers for the prettiness & vitamins. (One tiny note: when I prep bell peppers for any meal I clean the insides extremely well because one of my pet peeves is when seeds are left in the finished meal. I know some chefs even call that "rustic" but I call it lazy. There's just something awful to me about biting down on a little, white seed.) 

"Slow-cooker" Stuffed Peppers
5 bell peppers, cleaned out (I put the tops back on, see picture below) 

Stuffing:
1 lb. raw, ground beef 
32 oz of tomato sauce 
2 cups of cooked, white rice 
I eye amounts: parmesan cheese, s & p, fresh parsley & basil & dried oregano & garlic powder & some bread crumbs

2 cups water

Mix stuffing, stuff peppers, add back their little cap hats :)
Extra stuffing I added to the bottom of the crock-pot. Pour the water into the bottom of the pot for the peppers to be slightly immersed. Cook on SLOW, 6-8 hours (may vary according to your pot).



1 comment: