Wednesday, July 11, 2012

General Chow's Tofu

We are lessening the red meats in our home so I cautiously asked my hubby, "tofu?" And when he replied, "OK." (Not, "OK!", mind you, but it would have to do...) I got the green light. I was excited because, you see, for years I was a vegetarian (until my body resoundingly fought against itself & would not absorb nutrients). I still love tofu & many vegetarian meals wholeheartedly & rather enjoy when my veggie sister comes to dinner. One of our favorite meals, General Chow's Tofu, is from a classic Chinese Restaurant in Greenwich Village, Susie's.  So when I saw Heather, (of Hezzi D's Books & Cooks) General Chow's Tofu I knew this was the first tofu meal I'd make for the hubby to try. This is very much adapted from Hezzi D. (go to her recipe if you want spice!) It was a resounding hit!!!

Here's what I did...
<3 Lishie


General Chow’s Tofu 
  • 2-3 TBsp canola oil, divided
  • 1 package (14 oz) extra-firm tofu
  • 1/4 c onion, diced small
  • 2 TBSp garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp powdered ginger
  • 1 c water
  • 1/4 c low sodium soy sauce
  • 3 T. sugar
  • 1 lemon's zest & juice
  • 1 t. black pepper
  • 1 bunch broccoli
  • 2 TBSp water
  • 2 TBSp cornstarch

Drain the excess water from the tofu & pat tofu dry with a paper towel. Slice the tofu length-wise into thin rectangular slices. Then cut each slice into a triangle.
One pan method! Heat 1 TBSp canola on the bottom of a large skillet.  Add in the tofu & sear tofu slices on each side until browned.  Remove the tofu to a plate.
Add remaining 2 TBSp oil into the skillet over medium heat. Add in the onion, garlic, & ginger.  Cook, stirring, until onions are softened but not browned. Add in broccoli florets, stir. Add 1 c water, soy sauce, sugar, lemon zest & juice, & pepper.  Bring the mixture to a boil.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl dissolve the cornstarch into the 2 TBSp water & incorporate it into the boiling sauce.  Simmer until thickened then add back in the tofu. 

Serve over rice. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment