Friday, October 12, 2012

Chicken in Tomatoes

Is anyone else still mourning summer? I know, I know. I love Autumn & the change it brings, the gorgeous hues & vegetable variety... the holidays & all. But I am still a summer lovin' girl. So when I was looking into my recipe clippings for ideas & came across something with the heading "Saving Summer", I stopped short. Yes, please, let's save it!!! It was a clipping from a 2 year old back issue of Everyday Food for Chicken in Tomatoes. The article had been about freezing some of the fresh produce of the season for the upcoming chillier months. And I saved it because we always have an abundance of fresh, Jersey tomatoes from my pop-in-law's garden. Well, until this year. Don't get me wrong, we had fresh Jersey tomatoes this past summer months from pop's garden but not as many as usual. Black thumb over here heard something about the high temps causing the problem as well as the sneaky squirrel who resides in our tree. So I went ahead with this yummy recipe using canned tomatoes & it was tasty! I served it with cavatappi pasta on the side & it was a hit!

<3
Lishie


Chicken in Tomatoes
originally printed in Everyday Food
  • 32 oz can of tomatoes
  • 1 TBSp olive oil
  • 1-2 lbs skinless chicken breasts
  • s & p
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • 3 cloves garlic, smashed & peeled
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Coarsely pulse the tomatoes in a food processor. In an overproof skillet, heat oil over med-high. Season chicken pieces with s & p & brown on one side, about 7 minutes. Flip & cook about 1 minute. Transfer chicken to a plate, set aside. Reduce heat to med., add onion & cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add oregano, then garlic, stir for about a minute. Add tomatoes, more s & p, & bring to a boil.

Place the chicken pieces back into the skillet, darker side up. Transfer skillet to the oven & cook 25-30 minutes, until chicken is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment