So exciting!!! I love swaps & I love breakfast. I got a sweet breakfast assigned to me from Amy's Kitchen Creations: Homemade Caramel Rolls. Mine turned out to be more cinnamon than caramel so I made a quick cream cheese frosting. OMGoodness, so tasty!!! And like Amy's, mine were not uniform nor were they rolled tight enough (see photo). But WHO CARES? They were DELISH!!! It was the perfect Sunday breakfast treat. I have had Amy's blog before & was thrilled to get it again! Thank you so much, Amy!!! And thank you to Sarah at A Taste of Home Cooking for putting this swap together as always.
Amy gave the link where she got the recipe: Food .com
Mom's Caramel Rolls
- 2 cups warm water ( not hot)
- 2 (1/4 ounce) package yeast ( 2 T bulk)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 tablespoons butter ( let sit out until soft)
- 1 eggs
- 6 1/2 cups flour
- cinnamon-sugar mixture
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 3/4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons water
- Mix water and yeast and wait 5 minutes.
- Stir in sugar, salt and 2 cups of flour.
- Add egg and butter and mix.
- Stir in rest of flour by hand, if dough is still sticky add just enough to make it not sticky anymore.
- Let raise until dough is double in size.
- Sprinkle flour on surface and roll dough out until is approx 18 X 12 inches.
- Spread a very thin layer of soft butter on dough and sprinkle cinnamon/sugar mixture on it.
- Roll dough from the long side, it should look like a log.
- Cut into 1 inch pieces.
- Should be 18 pieces.
- Place brown sugar and butter into microwave dish and heat until butter is just melted; stir well.
- Stir in 3 T water.
- Divide mixture into 3 pans (8-inch cake pans).
- Place 6 pieces in each pan.
- Let raise for about 45 minutes.
- Bake for 20 minutes in a 325°F oven.
- When you take out of oven, turn each pan of rolls over on a plate, otherwise you will have a hard time getting them out when they cool.
- If you can, let them cool slightly and enjoy them when they are still warm.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 oz cream cheese, room temp
- 1/4 c butter, room temp
- 1 1/2 c powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla