Friday, May 11, 2012

Cake Batter Biscotti


So I've spoken of my commuter friend before... They are the best. They have me in stitches, in fits of laughter all of the time. It's what we need after a stressful day on a long commute- laughter. So the running gag is that I cannot just make biscotti- I have to put a "complicated twist" on it. Nahhhh... some things always sound harder than they are! Shhhhhhh... we'll keep that a secret from them ;) 

Well, they've been nudging me for some recently so I obliged. I had some cake mix left over from my cake batter rice krispy asteroids I needed to use... And I ALWAYS have sprinkles on hand! So, these came about...

Cake Batter Biscotti
  • 1/2 stick Butter, room temperature
  • 1/4 C Sugar
  • 1 Egg
  • 1 TBSp + 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
  •  1 1/2 C Flour
  • 1 C Yellow Butter Cake Mix
  • 3/4 tsp Baking Powder
  • 1/4 tsp Salt
  • about 2-3 TBSp Sprinkles
Drizzle: 
  • Candy Melts
  • Sprinkles
Preheat oven to 350F. Line or grease a cookie sheet- I used my silicone mat.

Mix together the butter & sugar. Add in the egg & vanilla- mix until smooth.

In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cake mix, baking powder, & salt.

Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture with the mixer on low. Scrape down the sides in between additions. The dough should be fairly thick.

Fold in the sprinkles.

With your hands, form the dough into a log shape along the length of the cookie sheet, & about 3 inches wide.

Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for 15 minutes on the cookie sheet. Once cool to the touch, use a serrated knife to slice the log of dough into slightly diagonal, 1/2" pieces.

Turn each slice on its side and lay back on the cookie sheet. Bake for 5 minutes. Flip the slices & bake 5 minutes more.

To make the drizzle, melt the candy melts until smooth. Using a spoon or pastry bag, drizzle it onto the biscotti & sprinkle away!

Enjoy!
<3 Lishie

1 comment: