Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Fried Rice

You may or may not know that I am extremely allergic to shellfish which makes me infinitely sad because I use to love to cook it & eat shrimp. Seems the iodine reaction built up in my system from a small allergy to anaphylactic proportions.And also, because it extremely limits my eating out choices! Good thing I can cook.

One thing I miss enormously is Chinese Takeaway. I can't trust that I'll be safe from an allergic reaction because often the same woks & oil is used to prepare cross-over foods. So better safe than sorry! I was really wanting veggie fried rice last night. This is a very simple fried rice but it came out so tasty. I think it because of 1) the cooking temp was perfect in my wok, 2) the rice was right & 3) garden-FRESH peas. The peas I used were home grown at the farm this past weekend.

The key with cooking food in a high temperature on the stove top is to have every ingredient prepped & ready & close at hand!!!

Veggie Fried Rice
  • 2-3 TBSp Canola Oil
  • 2 cups cooked, short-grain rice (I use arborio) 
  • 3 TBSp Low Sodium Soy Sauce
  • 2 scallions, sliced thinly- white & green
  • 1 egg, whisked/scrambled
  • 1/4 cup fresh peas
Heat the canola oil in a wok on HIGH heat on the stove. A wok is the best pan to use but if you do not have one, use your deepest saute pan. When you are sure the oil is sizzling hot, add the rice. Drizzle the soy sauce over the rice. Quickly, with a wooden spoon, stir, stir, stir!!! Create an empty circular space in the middle of the work, shifting the rice to the sides... add the scallions & stir... add the egg... scramble, scramble, scramble... constantly stirring... then mix all of the ingredients together stirring all the while. Add the peas, stir/cook a minute more & serve!

I love to also add tofu (before the egg) & water chestnuts, carrots (cubed in tiny pieces)...


Enjoy!
<3 Lishie

No comments:

Post a Comment