Pop-in-Law's Lentil Soup
- 2 TBsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced into small pieces
- 2 carrots, peeled & sliced into very thin halfmoons
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced very thinly
- S & P
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pound lentils , rinsed & cleaned
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 lb thin spaghetti, broken into fourths
Heat the oil in a heavy large pot over medium heat. Add the onion & carrots,. Add the garlic, s & p & saute until all the vegetables are tender, onions translucent, about 5 to 8 minutes. Add the entire can of tomatoes (w/juice) & the seasonings. Simmer for about 8 minutes. Add the lentils & combine with the sauce. Add the broth & stir. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover and simmer over low heat until the lentils are almost tender, about 30 minutes.
Stir in the pasta & simmer until the pasta cooked. Serve & enjoy!
*This is also a wonderful soup to make for New Year's Day. In Italy, lentils are eaten as a symbol of good luck and prosperity because they resemble tiny coins.