Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Potato Pancakes or Latkes, however you roll...

So I had a rough afternoon & I decided I wanted to make potato pancakes. They are comforting for me & delicious, especially warm with a cool topping. Everyone seems to have a different recipe & even mine has morphed. Somewhere along the way, I realized that shallots were gentler to my senses than onions (especially when grating). Also, this time around, I used the same method before grating as I did for Strip House Potatoes Romanoff (see below).


Potato Pancakes (Latkes)

  • 2 Russet Potatoes 
  • 1 large Shallot
  • S & P
  • 1 Egg
  • 3-4 TBSp Flour
  • Canola Oil (for frying)


I baked the potatoes (after washing them), wrapped in aluminum foil & pierced with a fork, for 1 hour @ 425ºF. Then wrapped them & refrigerated the potatoes overnight.

When ready to prep, grate the potatoes with the large holes of the box grater (I used skins & all). Grate the shallot with the smaller holes of the box grater, adding the grated shallot directly to the potato. Season with S& P... Add egg... Add flour by the Tablespoon until it's a thick, lumpy consistency much like pancake batter.

On Medium-High, heat the canola oil in a non-stick pan. Form batter into rounded lumps & when the oil is hot, place the rounded lumps in the pan. Cook until browned on the edges (watch carefully) then turn over & cook about 2 minutes more. Place on paper towels to drain.

*Lishie Tip- Top with sour cream, sugar (or both) or apple sauce. I actually topped them tonight with a little sugar & plain yogurt- it was delish!

*Lishie Facts: Latkes is Yiddish for pancakes... Typically in the Jewish faith, potato pancakes are eaten during Chanukah because they are fried in oil. The oil symbolizes the same as the 8 menorah candles... that miraculously, there was enough oil for 8 days in the Holy Temple, when there seemed to be very little.

yum, fried, potato-y goodness!

No comments:

Post a Comment